Tuesday, October 28, 2008

DIY Projects



In July G and I performed some major home makeovers and when we were at a satisfactory point we called a treaty with ourselves and decided the makeover was complete. This was primarily because, as anyone who has done anything similar will atest, re-decorating, buying new furniture, organizing, installing etc. is EXHAUSTING. And once you really get going, you realize how much more there is to do! So we called it quits and took a break. But this month, we seem to be back in the swing of it...
Two weeks ago after picking up some drift wood on the beach by my parents place on the North Fork, I was reminded of a lamp G's aunt had constructed out of drift wood in her enviably cool and sophisticated apartment.
I was determined to create my own- albeit with slightly less talent- and the results are pictured above. We visited Lighting Plus on Broadway for the cord, switch and Edison bulb as well as the base, which they gave us for free. We weren't sure if the base would function properly and were amazed at how perfect it worked out. Painting it white and nailing the wood to the interior of it helped us forget that it used to be a wire dispenser once upon a time.
Then this weekend we FINALLY got my home office assembled (of which I am writing from right now). There was an awkward space in the apt. that we had previously used for storage and occasionally to hang coats that I was determined to make practical use of.
After searching and searching for a desk that could fit our small alcove (without wheels since the floor is sloped, gotta love the east village) we decided to hit up the lumber yard on Spring and Thompson for cut to order pieces. The result is, in my mind, perfect. I love the small space and although many people may loathe the idea of a small work cubicle, I am embracing mine wholeheartedly. My inspiration board above helps...

Lamp, Bulletin Board and Chair are all Ikea.
Not the best pictures, I admit, but hopefully I'll be able to upload some better ones soon.

No comments: