Wednesday, October 22, 2008

OTTO ENOTECA


Dear Dieters,
As you probably have noticed my entries are becoming fewer and far-er between. Many new factors in my life are contributing to this.
1. I am looking for a job. Looking for a job is a full time job. The cliche rings true.
2. I am launching a newsletter for Wunderbloc. My afternoons are often spent researching new designers and finding ways to write about them. So doing it after hours can be quite tiring!
3. I am interning at Luckymag.com. Such lovely ladies are training me to find my way as an editor. It's very exciting.
4. I am freelance writing and editing as any jobs come my way (speaking of which, please send my way if you are in need)

So, as you can probably see, I am living and breathing work right now particularly of the fashion variety and subsequently have little left to say at the end of the day.
BUT- I did realize, that my Monday night food entries flew out the window late spring and I miss writing about food!

I think it will keep me writing and hopefully keep you engaged dieters!

Yesterday was the perfect opportunity to divulge my gastronomic curiosities.
It started with super sweet, fresh jonagold apples from the market outside St. Mark's Church. My heart belonged to Honey Crisp, but after OD'ing slightly, my taste buds were craving a change.
Yum.
Crispy, milder than Honey Crisp, and slightly less crunchy but they have a wonderful texture and smell that reminds me of the farms I grew up near.

Balthazar for breakfast- a soft boiled egg and tartine with apricot preserves. Simple and delicious. G's omelette, however, made me wish I had a bigger appetite- Gruyere and herbs (chives, oregano and basil we surmised). The Gruyere was absolutely definitive of french cheese, strongly flavored and melted to perfection, but still firm enough to cut through. Memories haunt.

We tried Otto for the first time last night and it did not disappoint! The stars were the apps- Octopus (by the far the best thing we ate), marinated mushrooms (served cold but still delicious), and escarole and sunchoke salad. Octopus was incredible, mixed with celery and perfectly marinated. Meaty enough for this vegetarian with occasional cravings...
I had a goat cheese and balsamic onion pizza and G had the carbonara. We agreed the carbonara was a bit too salty (like inadvertently so) but my pizza was simple and delicious. And I hate to do this, but I brought half home and had it for lunch today and time was on it's side.

After Otto, I know at some point I murmured to Guillaume (the Tokai slurred my thoughts some) that it is clear that Mario Batali knows food. Nobody really disputes that but I have often been let down by high profile chefs. Not so here.

No comments: