Sunday, July 20, 2008

Home Renovations are not like Reality Shows


G and I are performing a little design-magic in our quaint apartment. I'll leave out the amount of bickering that seems to take place between couples when they decide to indulge such "handy" activities but needless to say- it's been a long, hot weekend.
The nagging question for me is more than how to drill or mount a television on a brick wall (yes, we did that) but more about What is my Style? A question I adore answering when it comes to clothes but am at a total loss in terms of home decor. Everything looks kind of generic and "modern" these days and although a couch from Ikea saves money and proves a nice investment (love that I am lounging on it right now), in order for me to feel "me" here I need a touch of romance, a bit of vintage and some great earthy elements.
But all the current options leave me totally confused and inept.
It's a strange feeling, being someone who is generally quite opinionated, especially when it comes to aesthetics. Stumbled across a great store on 17th street, From the Source, that revived me a little- it's all handcrafted wooden pieces from Indonesia and definitely gave me the "inspiration" tinge.
I'm running with it though and visiting their warehouse on Saturday in Greenpoint. Here's a link to their website. The pieces on the site don't look as wonderful as they do in person- so I'd suggest checking them out at 17th and 6th or at 69 West Street in Greenpoint.
www.fromthesource.us
(eyeing the piece pictured above)

1 comment:

sarayerry said...

awaiting an update! did you purchase?