Sunday, September 28, 2008

Full Report



For everyone interested in Lyell- I am taking some time to divulge DETAILS.

Hot and sticky weather conditions yesterday didn't really help my overall feeling as I arrived BEFORE 12:00 and saw a line already amassed around what appeared to be a teeny tiny store front.

I waited it out. At noon when the doors opened, they let in about 15 people (possibly 20) and when the rain started to fall that urgency that I feel about sample sales increased about 10 fold.

Thankfully after about 20 minutes, I was permitted entrance. Emma Fletcher was manning the register and actually offering really helpful suggestions to the half clothed women battling over A SINGLE MIRROR. One rack of her vintage pieces, many in states of disrepair, did hold some very inspiring beauties and were I not playing the role of "What do I NEED?" may have been tempted to buy one...just to have. Without any real space to change- the register area worked fine for me- you had to kind of tactfully push through the crowd to get a glimpse at an already overworked mirror.

But, alas, such is the sample sale and maybe that's half the fun. Despite all these obstacles, I did bring home one beautiful dress. And try as I might to find a picture on her site, no such luck. Apparently it will be part of the Spring '09 collection too...
It's beautiful and the bf had an emphatic reaction to it so I feel like I left victorious- although seeing a dress I was debating on and left without on the Barneys site for $610.00 made me think I should have taken a bit more advantage of the situation.

All pieces shown in the pics above were there.

With all that confusion, I always try to play it safe and only allow myself one item. It's my best defense for sample sale impulse buying.

Honestly, well-worth the treck to the LES. Sizes were varied- actually more 6's and 8's than anything- but many were just samples so the sizing was irregular.

I would stay on the lookout for the next one.

3 comments:

L said...

I enjoyed your blog. I hope you get a chance to check mine out!

Rivr Media Studios said...

I enjoyed your blog. I hope you get a chance to check mine out!

Moya said...

Thanks for posting this. I wish I had been able to go but Lyell gives no notice and I had plans I couldn't change. It's normally crowded in that storefront and the line usually is pretty long even if you get there early (press get in first--which I hate). I just wish she'd had it through Sunday, but I figure she didn't have much stock. I wish I could have got the v-necked blouse in your pictures!

What kinds of prices was she charging by the way? And can you describe your dress for us? I got a Claire dress sample in green last March for just $40. I love her clothing and she has sales reasonably often.

Sorry for all the questions! Thank you.