Sunday, August 10, 2008

Junk Shop on Friday and Paella for Lunch



I forgot to mention the most intriguing part of my Friday morning in my last post (apparently far too excited to dish about my Kookai purchases). G's cousin- aptly called Jean Luc like any good french man- took us to a junk/furniture/consignment shop on the outskirts of Aix. After seeing my temptation to throw down 15 euro a pop for mundane vintage household items at the afore mentioned store in Paris, G implored me to wait it out and that everything I was lusting after would be found in the single digit range in Aix (even if it won't have the charming display or stylish salesgirl behind it).

Waiting it out proved an intelligent move- most likely why G is in business and me...not so much. The store was enormous and contained the most remarkably vast selection of antique furniture in decent condition for Ikea-competitive prices. If only shipping wouldn't match that 3 fold, I may have indulged with more apartment renovations in the imminent future...

But once again, abstained and quarantined myself to the small pieces and collectibles section. I left with a gorgeous cask for Ricard or water or wine and matching glasses. It's the really old school kind complete with glass stopper. The design on the front is suspiciously reminiscent of the Mayle logo which is perhaps what drew my eye to it amongst the plethora of merchandise.

Also came upon a beautiful pair of shoe inserts (you know the metal kind that you use to keep your oxfords in good shape?). We're planning on hanging them on the wall.

All purchased for 8 euro, definitely not a bank breaker and really nice mementos. Saturday we went to the market in Puyricard, where all the farmers set up stands to sell their produce, or fish or nuts or olives...
I went a little crazy after sampling the ripest fresh fig and ended up buying a basket worth of ingredients at the "biodynamic" stand to make a ratatouille that evening. Once I get my usb I will put pictures up- of all the things I could have forgotten to bring with me on the trip it was this. Now you're stuck listening to me ramble without any visuals.

Yesterday at the giant Aix market, I was on the hunt for an antique table cloth for our newly acquired coffee table. Found a beautiful one that has a lovely lace border and although feminine not TOO much so (at least that's what I convinced G of).

After we accompanied the family to a small village where a family owned restaurant served us lunch. They only make one dish a day and yesterday it was paella. Right when you sit down they greet you with a bottle of red and a bottle of rose (free refills too!). Paella arrives absolutely delicious, fresh seafood, and a basket of baguette- it's not just a cliche. The french love baguette.

After Paella, a blue cheese and a brie are served with salad literally picked from the garden behind their house/restaurant. And to finish it off (this was the best part) an ice cream cone.

To work it off (and our buzz) G and I rode bikes around the hills for an hour or so and then swam for a bit.

Today we are going to the ocean with the family again. To my delight Liz, the 2 year old German cousin who is already totally bohemian has arrived. Having children around immediatly gives me energy.

1 comment:

sarayerry said...

awaiting another post!!