Saturday, August 16, 2008

A Wedding in Strasbourg


I've been pouring over web pages all morning trying to find a suitable picture to accompany this post (specifically of the dress I am going to be wearing today) and nothing nothing nothing. It's driven me into such a frenzy that I could easily have not posted anything at all...

So once again, my apologies for the random live journaling and no photos.

Today is the wedding. I am apprehensive and frightened by all the threats made to me regarding not being in bed before 6 AM. Apparently in every part of the world other than the states, weddings are excuses to get insanely drunk and eat like a pig for hours and hours on end. So when in Rome...

Last night we had the "rehearsal dinner" in a brasserie near the middle of the city. I don't know how many people were there- maybe 20- hence rehearsal dinner in quotes. The wedding guest list is currently at 180 so only a small fraction of the guests attended last night's soiree. Tarte flambees were served the minute we sat down and I don't remember my wine level dipping very far below it's status quo even though I am certain I was drinking. SUCH AMAZING WHITE WHINE!

Alsace is the place to get your fix with the most lovely pinot gris, gerwurtztraminer (sp?) and Reisling. The best I've ever had. The night ended relatively early around midnight and I've slept off the consumption- ready for round two today (although trepidatious, me of the "Grandma" moniker).

Wearing Tracy Reese snatched from Sara's closet. It's lovely and chiffon with velvet blue ribbons for straps. I am so excited to wear a uniform that has not been in rotation for the past 3 weeks. Honestly can not wait.

I have no idea what the bride's dress will be like, but knowing her I'm putting my money on simple and elegant, very little embellishment and likely strapless.

No comments: