Monday, February 11, 2008

2.11.08

Today I was looking through people.com and was blown away by how many pictures are devoted to re-creating the looks of stars in their street wear. Although I understand the wonders this does for the fashion industry (particularly lower priced chains that specialize in knocking off designer goods) there is something terribly inauthentic about taking your fashion cues from stars that are being dressed by stylists. I think my favorite pictures always tend to be the ones where the celebrity has either just woken up- or is coming out of the gym. Not for the reference to "what are they wearing?" but more to see "how do they look?" It's these moments that feel much more filled with inspiration for an outfit rather than the ones where you are actually looking at, and then re-creating an outfit.
As a disclaimer, I think I may try to acclimate this idea and use it for my own purposes. Stay tuned to see just how I do it...

this is precisely why i picked this picture of edie sedgwick as my picture of the day. what she is wearing is purely practical but looks incredibly chic and inspires me even more than any pictures of her in mini dresses and gargantuan earrings that always look to me as though they were stuck on the photos like decals.

No comments: