Wednesday, February 6, 2008

2.6.08

Could it be? Will the Gap be a shopping destination in the future (as opposed to 'that store that is right next to the bus stop so maybe I'll kill some time')?
It's so effing amazing how fashionable chain retailers are becoming. I think it's wonderful...I think. But actually I can't affirm that with any real certainty. And my gut instinct is disconcerting. If fashion is an out ward statement of individuality (is it?) how can one stay individual if everything is starting to look the same? This is not to say that if you can afford the trends or if you can wear designer duds everyday, you can retain a sense of individuality. Obviously, it really is the opposite. But if everyone starts dressing like fashion editors, how will the editors dress? I ask this question completely devoid of elitism and more because what makes fashion so exciting is the reflection it is of our current social/political/economic culture. Meaning "the bad" is an entirely subjective term- that can easily be acclimated by "the good" and made into something wearable- and vice versa.
It's silly to get in a tizzy about all this-because I don't have any idea as to what exactly irks me about this whole commercialization of fashion. Considering I used to be a huge fan of Marc by Marc Jacobs (whose show yesterday was one of the most recently unimpressive I've seen) I have absolutely no right to say a thing. Maybe I too am as commercial as it gets. But I guess I look towards fashion for some kind of mystique. The Gap just doesn't cut it. But yes, I would definitely wear these clothes. Comments?

No comments: