Monday, February 4, 2008

2.4.08

Snowing in NY this morning. Quite beautiful and reminded me of exactly how difficult it is to dress in this city. It's more than just finding the right coat and shoes that can take you from slick terrain to the office in style. It's a whole lifestyle. It's being able to intuitively sense how severe the weather will be, approximately how much the temperature will drop, and to what degree you need to experience a complete wardrobe melt-down (an inevitability, no?). How much will you need to walk today? A question most people can hypothesize with fairly accurate results. But in NY you NEVER know. I had no idea that today it would be pouring with snow so the bus, that I shamelessly rely on to get to the subway would decide to stop running (I can safely say this rarely happens).
So in my 3-inch platform heeled oxfords in soft patent leather, I trekked onward. Half a mile to the train. And yesterday's Spring like temperatures had dropped so severely, my one wool coat layer was utterly lacking- but it's about 5 minutes outside your door that you fully realize these things. Five minutes out the door, with the concept of "New York math" (my terminology for time budgeting, i.e. "if I make it to the subway in time and JUST catch the train I arrive at my destination on time, but if I miss it, it can put me 20 minutes behind schedule"- in other words, 5 minutes is currency. Spend wisely. A sweater never seems worth it at 8:30AM)
So it came as a truly wonderful breath of fresh air to see the chic and cozy offerings from Y-3's fall collection. Being bundled up never looked so damn cool. End of story. It was the definitive collection of how to stay stylish while braving all the unforeseen elements that NY weather and global warming are throwing at us.
A few looks didn't work for me, and I found them to be the least practical of the lot (isn't it ALWAYS the other way around?).
Thank you Y-3. I think I am actually looking forward to next winter.

No comments: