Tuesday, February 5, 2008

2.5.08

Betsy Johnson has never been one of my favorite designers. I say this with slight remorse at the fact that she probably would have been when I was a tyke, desperate to find pieces that were interesting above all- and the idea of classic or timeless was simply...dull. Yet this was a time that I would never have considered buying "designer" anything. I was convinced crazy originality was reserved for thrift shops only (forgive me, I was 13).
So for her Fall show I was quickly brought back to an entirely other version of myself, one in which I fantasized about frequenting East Village dive bars, smoking a cigarette outside with a blasé look on my face. Everyone around me having just caught the most recent Blondie show at CBGB's and you could tell from looking at us.
When I find myself at those bars now I always find myself amused at the NYU undergrads surrounding me. And me amongst them, having quit smoking two years ago, trying to keep my coat protected from any fly drinks or sticky floors.
But I have to admit, were I able to rock one of her looks now- in the NY I know, not the one I daydreamed about at age 14- I would have a smashing time. These looks do not go to bed early. I think I need some of this in my life right now- it may just revive my love of the city.

No comments: