Friday, February 22, 2008

ECO CHIC


2.22.08
The mysteries of what actually classifies something as "eco-friendly" are plentiful in this upside down fashion world. There's always the conundrum of if something looks rustic and is made of natural materials- does that make it eco or does that make it stupifyingly un-eco because of it's blantant dependency on the environment for vain design elements? More over, how much is this a press ploy, while everyone is highlighting eco wares, doesn't just throwing something in the mix and calling it "eco" guarantee exposure?
Well, I think I would answer yes to all these questions but ultimately- why bother asking? The fact that this is a trend can only mean good things for M. Earth. Regardless of what extent a product is eco- I am happy that we consider the environment at all in our fashions. Afterall, how much do we rely on nature for inspiration artistically?
And one line that I think has their priorities straight is Ananas.
Thus, my pick for today- Ananas handbags has created a line of eco-bags. I love the bags and secondly, love the mission. For each bag purchased from the eco collection a tree is planted by Trees For the Future. More trees means more beautiful wooden accessories, right? Gotta give to get back.
I like the pragmatism of Ananas' mission particularly. Since wood is a signature design element on their bags, they are finding a way to replenish precious supply. I like it.

No comments: