Thursday, February 14, 2008

Sant Jordi Books


One of the most romantic holidays I know of takes place in April in Barcelona. Sant Jordi's Day or Dia de Los Libros (day of the books) is one of the most fantastic traditions and one that I find myself longing for during what feels like V-Day BS. The tradition on this day, is for each man to gift a rose to a woman and a woman to gift a book to a man. But generally the gender part of the tradition has inevitably evolved and the city becomes a veritable garden library (oh- does that exist anywhere?!?!). There are flower venders and book sellers all over the city and several of these stands specialize in rare books.
How much sweeter would this day be if you could just concentrate on finding the perfect book?
Of course, the choice is mine to make, but I walked out of the store today with something significantly less intellectual. Ahh...so many options and so little energy. Next year, I am going to remember how I forgot this.

A Rose and a First Edition Great Gatsby = True Love

No comments: