Sunday, February 3, 2008

2.3.08

Black is Back! (big happy smile on my face)
After yesterday's shows it is clear, black is the color for Fall '08 and I couldn't be happier. It's time to give those bright, cheery dresses and shifts the boot and make way for the grim and grimy ashen hues that happen to adorn the majority of my wardrobe. To be clear, I love color- but love it so much more when it pops against something dark. The wonderful thing about this black is the grittiness of the styling as shown at Alexander Wang and United Bamboo yesterday. It's not uptight. Anyone that knows me, can fully back up the fact that I'm a sucker for messy hair and a healthy dose of dishevelment. Alexander Wang hit the note just right and I am in LOVE. The collection was a mixture of pieces that you only fantasize about being able to sport after raiding your boyfriend's closet. With some coveted items that your really chic aunt who toured with the Stones wore way back when. If only I had an aunt like that...

Can I fully disclose something taboo? I connect a lot of guilt to my appreciation for these pieces because they are so effing 'cool' they make you wonder what 26 year old, New York, Wanna be Fashionista wouldn't love? Do you need a brain to love the pieces or just a good immersion in downtown NY to know how much you would fit in, in these clothes? A big blaring question mark in bold that appears before me often- especially when I find myself salivating over something at Barneys Coop. Just a question...

And I've digressed. Self-satisfaction reigns supreme as I reflect back on my 10 predictions for 2008 that I compiled this past New Year's Day. (I know you're thinking- oh NOW you're going to disclose what they are)
But included was the appearance of "legging pants." I know we've all exhausted our leggings and I wince every time I see those American Apparel beauties crowning a slick little pair of ballet flats.
However, the silhouette is great- makes 20- somethings feel fresh, put together and quasi-dressed up while still being a bright young thing. And as for skinny jeans...well we all know how we feel about those. There's no way you're going to pull me out of them but for crying out loud, enough is enough.
So logically the birth of the "legging-pant" would come full swing and it has. Beautifully. LOVE.

No comments: