Monday, February 25, 2008

OSCARS


2.25
I actually really enjoyed watching the oscars last night. thanks to the influx of europeans, there were actually some interesting looks on the red carpet (ouch! sorry...it's a personal taste thing)
So I have compiled my best and worst of the night.
The only major upset for me was the absolute lack of love for "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" which was hands down the best movie of the year. Thank god javier bardem is so hot, I can somehow overlook the fact that "No Country" took best picture. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the film- and how can you not find an amazing amount of artistic merit to a film based solely on performance and art direction? That and the Coen brother's obvious gift for mounting an incredible amount of suspense through their direction. But all the things that actually matter in hollywood fell by the wayside- story, special effects, hysterical women, and resolution. So somehow this is could be seen as a real achievement for the academy to acknowledge such a film- it would be had it been THAT good. I imagine I am supposing that the oscar's really mean a film is THAT good. Regardless, it's a good film- but not spectacular and "The Diving Bell" was and there's my two cents.
p.s. if javier didn't have that haircut and that outfit I swear it may not have won. The power of fashion.

So let's start with the clothes...
Best dressed:
1. Obvious- Marion Cotillard.
2. Tilda Swinton- LOVE no makeup. But love her even more.
3. Cate Blanchett. Grrr...she's super-human.
4. Jennifer Garner. Maybe it's because she happens to be one of the most gorgeous women in hollywood but imagining seeing her in person last night...I am sure she was incredible.
5. Calista Flockhart. Phew- doesn't it look like you could just blow her out like a candle? Pretty.

No comments: