Monday, March 24, 2008

Face lift and night at Lil Frankies



Peeps,
Dailydietnyc is getting a major make over. In the renovation/development/surgical stage I encourage any feedback of things you would like to see added. But here's my current thought process- originally daily diet was supposed to be an all encompassing "consumption" blog specifically geared towards a nyc point of view. However, launching during fashion week put an emphasis on only fashion and I ran with that. But I am missing my original idea and am working on getting it into place.
and with that- Monday is officially restaurant review day!
yum.
Lil Frankies is a place that I have over and over again heard rave reviews of. I have always subconciously avoided places with lots of hype- preferring to trust my gut instincts and walk into a place that feels inviting and exciting and makes me feel like a "real" discoverer. As one quickly learns in NYC, places with absolutely no hype at all...completely undiscovered...tend to disappoint. Maybe it's because I tend to surround myself with foodies- or maybe just because one of my first questions upon meeting someone is "where do you like to eat?"- I have a running list of places with, at the very least, an educated yay or nay endorsement. And so I finally broke down and went into Lil Frankies, lured by lots of "SO GOOD!!" and equally non-descriptive and generic, yet enthused adjectives. And I wasn't disappointed. OK, not blown away- not tapping my heels together and singing it's praises down 1st avenue- but quite satisfied. Jamie Burke seated at the bar helped- but only minorly. He and a very beautiful but totally archetypical blond that has spent every winter on bondi beach and wear uggs that don't overwhelm her sky high gams and compliment her naturally bleached and unwashed hair that somehow, SOMEHOW, maintains that salty, beachy air that she lapped up down under.
Enough about that eye candy.
Food tastes better. We had a lil frankies salad- arugula, beets, zucchini, fennel, sweet cherry tomato, potatoes (not so pleasant addition) in a balsamic and olive oil dressing. It was totally great. Lots of salt and pepper- at times overly liberal and made me clear the throat- but satisfying when, like me, sea salt is another key ingredient. Especially the zucchini and surprisingly the tomatoes, which aren't in season, but let's pretend...
I ordered a bianca pizza and roasted butternut squash. Bianca had no cheese to my surprise, but lots of truffle oil and rosemary so no complaints. Probably dry to the average eater- but for me, perfect. It tasted like a delicious focaccia that had just been whipped up and I polished it all off myself. bravo me.
squash was fine. parmagiana cheese layered throughout made it like a gratin. I could have left the cheese but it was hearty and made it feel decadent which can be good when you're starving (which I was).
G. had gnocchi. yummy mostly. salty sauce that didn't taste so fresh but fufilled our expectations. it was cooked perfectly.
It's not easy for me to sit down to a meal and compliment liberally. such a critic.
but I give Lil Frankies a solid B+ and would go back for sure.
The Soave was wonderful and got us through this post!!

No comments: