Monday, March 31, 2008

Monday Night Fine Dining



Keeping to my (moody) structure: It's Restaurant Day!
I like how this is the only day that officially gets it's own emphatic anouncement each time. You can see where my real heart lies.
Today was balmy and humid and drizzling in NY so after having had a week long house guest and subsequently lots of nights out, I was ready to become intimate with my couch, BF and blog. Heaven.
And the thought of trekking out through the East Village was anything but enticing- so we ordered in. Westville East is fast becoming the best take out in the neighborhood. I generally hate take out for several reasons.
1) Interminably long waits that have capped out at an insufferable 2 hours once (I kid you not)
2) Diminished food quality due to improper packaging
3) Serious temperature problems
4) Having worked in several restaurants I know how much I mentally curse out the person on the other end asking "Can I order for delivery?"

At the risk of sounding like a total princess (I swear, I'm not) these factors keep me from ordering in and even in my most hung over, exhausted, and smelly state, I manage to get out the door and eat in the restaurant.

But not tonight. Westville East is the best for take out. Really.
1) Order put in at 7:50 and food arrived at 8:20
2) Food packed perfectly- still hot- dressings packed separately
3) Smart, nice people (even if they were cursing me out in their minds)
4) Perfect menu for take out

I had the 4 vegetables as a meal- mixed mushrooms (marinated in olive oil with salt and pepper), roasted beets with walnuts (dusted with a little bit of sugar), brussel sprouts (soaked in dijon mustard), asparagus (grilled with parmesan)
G and I shared grilled corn with cotija and lime
G had the crab cakes with a super spicy chipotle mayonnaise.
Crab cakes were out of control delicious. Not the finest and freshest you will ever find- not the kind that is loaded with crab meat. But exactly the kind you want when you are having a lazy night in and looking for some comfort food. The chipotle sauce was perfect.
Beets are my standby at westville. Mushrooms were the best tonight though. Really chewy and meaty. Asparagus is the only thing that fell short. Overcooked and stringy. I never have been a fan of grilling asparagus. Too easy to overcook.

Overall a solid A- on the official take out scale.

No comments: