Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Paris Fashion Week

Is it just me or is the best thing about Paris fashion week (with the exception of A. McQueen) the street style? What is it about french style that's so inspiring? I know for one thing, it's partly the fact that you can never dissect the looks and name the designer and season. As exists in most of Europe, there's a real mastering of the high mixed with low. I wouldn't call it riskier, as Carine Roitfeld alluded to in her most recent NY Mag. interview (but then again- who would you listen to, me or her?) but a bit more playful. And it's ironic considering how serious the french take themselves in other respects. The difference with french style though, that makes it stand alone from the rest of Europe is in the wearers. Arrogance registers really well in fashion. And for that- effortlessly stylish. I'm really trying to stretch the meaning of arrogance. Trying to eliminate the negativity the term evokes.
It's not french bashing- or worshipping mind you. But I want to wear my clothes like them- a cocky attitude never allows for clothes to wear you. Note to self- je ne sais quoi ces't moi.

Hence, my new favorite shopping website:
www.lagarconne.com

No comments: