Sunday, June 15, 2008

An ode to my Papa


It's father's day consumers and although I realize this is unconventional for my fashion blog, since I can't be with my dad today I want to take a second to send him a little homage.
If you were to ask my dad about my style he would most likely tell you about the times in middle school/high school when my genre of choice was grunge. If he ever felt awkward about it (my "dreads", my ripped jeans, my men's shirts often stolen from his closet, and the ties that I hung around my neck in the 6th grade) he never let on.
He was never one of those fathers with an idea of who he wanted me to be and imposed it upon me- he was constantly supportive of all my fickle fancies and I always had the feeling that no matter what my indulgence du jour was, he was right there to tell me that I could do it.
He and I have a lot of the same idiosyncrasies so there has always been an unspoken understanding of how and why we make the decisions we do. When we put our minds to something, you can be sure we'll find a way to get it done and if anything unforeseen stands in our way, we may stew it over in our heads for a while and eventually find a way to bypass the obstacle. There have been some devastating blows in both our lives, but I have learned from him that those moments really do lead you to something most likely more "right" for you.
I put him through quite a few tests over time. Choosing a hippie liberal arts school that provided little financial aid instead of the exclusive BFA program at a more secure school that did provide substantial aid, was probably not the easiest thing for him to brush off and tell me: "it's completely your choice" and then continue to support my decision enthusiastically.
But this is exactly what he did. And he continued to support me in the first year when I worried incessantly and called late at night thinking maybe I had made a mistake.
I am more than lucky to have a father like him, who used to sing and dance for us when I was young (some mama gipetto song), prepare me pasta with butter (my favorite meal circa 1985), and always provide the level headed reasoning that has guided me through the more emotional plot points of my life.
Happy Father's Day Dad!

No comments: