Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Delia Brown


Now through June 21st, there is an exhibit in Chelsea by Delia Brown that could quite possibly be worth your while. I will be there this weekend because I have been intrigued by her work for a few years now. Full disclosure- I became a little obsessed when I auditioned for an unscripted film directed by her where I was playing her. Needless to say, the audition was bizarre as I was being interviewed by the person I was supposed to be portraying...
But somehow I felt her work relevant. Very much "through the eyes of today's modern woman" unapologetic for picking up rags to read on the subway and un-ashamed to reference celebrity culture in her work. We are all inundated with it and there is a kind of alluring quality it has- and Brown's work really seems to hold the same mystique. This show is playing with the theme of mother/child I think. And I already kind of love this piece. It's kind of an "it's ok to look at pretty things" mentality.
Growing up as a self proclaimed "artist" I hate to admit that the concept is sometimes laden with guilt. Why is that?
OK it's 1 AM. I've been working all day.
Analyzing art is making me sound like an a$$hole.
Let's say goodnight.

No comments: