Sunday, May 18, 2008

Le Sous Sol on Rivington



Belgium has been on my radar for quite some time now. Coming from a dance background, I first stumbled upon the magic of this country through a choreographer called Anne Teresa De keersmaeker. If you have never seen her work, go to the New York Public Library at Lincoln Center and watch "Rosas Danst Rosas" my absolute favorite piece of dance theater ever. And as I moved towards fashion, Belgian designers started cropping up as some of my favorites. Dries Van Noten, Martin Margiela, in addition to what is referred to as "The Antwerp Six" (6 designers that graduated from Antwerp's Royal Academy of Fine Art between '80 and '81). The general aesthetic gears toward stark with a very intriguing avant garde edge that sets it apart from any "trendy" or even "classic" styling. It really feels born out of the question: what fashion NEEDS to be as opposed to what it OUGHT to be?
Le Sous Sol pays tribute to these amazing designers and all the other bright-eyed (an ironic statement considering the almost bleak nature of the designs) youngin's that are emerging right now. The idea is fantastic, if not in generating sales (I do feel the client must be QUITE particular in an area over-run with "Foley and Corinna" girls and "Shop" enthusiasts) in at least educating people about the amazing new designs emerging from Belgium. Two designers really made an impact on me: a footwear designer, Nathalie Verlinden and the line, A.F Vandervorst. The latter's collection contained drapey, layered pieces that are exactly the kind of style I hope to evolve to as I get older. Not to say the pieces aren't relevant now, and were I to have the cash I would certainly be a regular, but I think what I love about Belgian design is the way it always seems to span age demographics and body types. Not in the cliche way we tend to refer to collections as doing, but in a way that sees that point as totally irreverant. Like, "Of course, why would clothes be specified into age groups?"
Opened in October, I encourage you visit and support the two sisters' labor of love.
www.lesoussol.com

No comments: