Saturday, May 3, 2008

SATC..and a studded belt





I saw the sex and the city movie. tee-hee. I feel like one of those kids that has a secret and can't tell but keeps engaging you to FORCE you to ask questions. Anyway, being pretty familiar with my readership, I know you all are not really the kind to be knocking down the doors aching to hear the latest plot twist. Like me you are much more interested in what they were wearing and since that information has all reached the public via movie stills, my lips will remain sealed about what happens (and if you really care, contact me directly so I can torture you a little...:) )
What struck me the most, wardrobe wise, was this effing studded belt. A stunner, yes and perfect for SJP's teeny tiny waist (ok whoever was the hairbrained man that nominated her as most unsexy woman in america was clearly just projecting his irritation of the sound of her voice while his girlfriend revisited re-runs on TBS)
BUT, that belt, I kid you not, was worn by Carrie in about 60% of her outfits. The rate is alarmingly high considering I rarely even remember seeing her carry the same bag twice in the series. And it honestly distracted me. I was thinking "Good God, Pat, what is the story????!!!" Let's say also that knowing who designed the belt and for what reason it made the cut in more than half of her wardrobe changes was a more interesting "plot point" than what actually ocurred onscreen (oooooo...burn.) I mean yes, I can understand that perhaps this was just a way to make Carrie a "normal" ny'er who does have favorite wardrobe staples which is likely the reason but none the less, I like to think there's a great story or visual significance. Corney but come on it is SATC!
But they looked great. Really all the ladies look amazing. My one grievance was her Vivienne Westwood wedding dress which I thought did nothing for her- being that the dress has this really angular and architectural top, it exagerrates SJP's lovely angular features in a not so flattering way.
I am sure that black belt will be featured in numerous "where can i finds" but if someone doesn't get in touch with the costume dept. with questions I think I may just die of curiosity! Ironic huh? Seeing as I've seen the film.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

i saw the movie last night and am obsessed with the studded belt that carrie wears (a lot!) do you know where i can get one or similar

dailydietnyc said...

apparently it is vintage as per an interview with Pat Field yesterday at her collection debut for payless. did you like the film??

Unknown said...

check out www.JustBelts.net. Celebrity designer Old Stud is creating a beautiful handmade handstudded leather version of this vintage belt. They are taking pre orders for late June. apparently available in several colors. Have fun!
www.JustBelts.net