Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Best Burger (veggie incl.)


Sorry I haven't provided accompanying photographs. I promise to follow up with some super yummy shots since I eat here often. Royale on Avenue C between 10th and 9th st. (right around the corner from my abode) serves up the best burger in NY were you to take into account all the crucial elements: i.e. consistency, guaranteed space (the place is never packed with the sole exception of weekend nights when there is almost always still at least one table), super nice waitresses and...well I hate to say it because it's completely biased...convenient location. BF always gets bacon royale which i just can't touch becuase I'm not such a meat lover but he gives it an emphatic thumbs up everytime. I get the veggie burger (cue eye roll). I know I know. But I LIKE it. No I LOVE it. It has maybe avocado and is likely deep fried or at least pan seared to greasy perfection and served with a deep red slice of tomato, one leaf of bibb lettuce (the only lettuce suitable for a burger) onion and brioche sesame roll (key component). The bun is always fresh, the tomatoes are mysteriously (please don't force my mind to contemplate why) always ripe, red and the exact same width and the bibb lettuce is equally consistent in size and shape (for better or worse). I like lots of mustard and ketchup and a glass of white wine and pickles to wash it down. Heaven. Believe me. This is an often overlooked spot and truly stellar.

1 comment:

n. said...

I have to second your love of ROYAL!
I have tried the whole menu, almost, and will stick with the burger or the veggie burger, so tasty, and consistent like you say. I think their bun is Amy's bakery and they get organic ingredients where they can. (quizzed my waitress after my first time there)
Dieing to try the burger at Prune, but Royal is a any night stand by.