Saturday, April 19, 2008

DON'T SEE A MOVIE JUST BECAUSE YOU LIKE THE WAY THE LEAD LOOKS


Hi there consumers!
Exciting news! I am officially blogging for a new super cool website called wunderbloc.com. My first post should go up today- as long as everything goes smoothly on a technical level and those forces are not to be reckoned with.
So if you don't find me today, look tomorrow and all will be revealed!
I will not neglect my loyal consumers though, I swear. These times of an impending recession (or are we in it?) require dedicated consumption- so long as we don't incur massive debt by trying to take advantage of all the goodies at topshop where my measly little dollar is being swallowed up whole.
So back to the point of my post today.
I went to see the counterfeiters on sunday. Honestly my motivations were superficial. I was totally compelled by the look of the actor that played the lead. Not in a sexual way- if anyone has seen previews or the film I am sure you know exactly what I mean. And it was incredibly disappointing. Maybe the translator was right out of school- or maybe the dialogue was just clichéd and bad. Whatever it was, was bad and actually boring to boot.
I don't know what it is about "based on a true story" films- whether it be the fact that in the modern age we are taught to doubt and question the legitimacy of what we are told on the big screen or, taking the more cynical (and more accurate route I believe) films are so sensationalized and romanticized you find yourself distanced on all levels. If you've been reading my blog you'll know I am a romantic- but not in the "good always prevails" kind of way.
What bothered me was the predictable outcome, the one dimensional characters and the ineffective moments of trying to give the film some sort of modern relevance.
Anyone seen it?
Report please.

No comments: