Monday, April 28, 2008

Vegetarian to DIE for



Seeing as the majority of vegetarian diets are devised as means of expanding one's life expectancy, I can say with total certainty that I would be totally fine if the opposite were true regarding the effects of tonight's feast. We went to Candle 79 and I had heard good things, but not really much of them. Kind of specifically in the "veg circles". So when my BF surprised me tonight with an 8:30 reservation, I jumped with joy, slight reservation (will he like it?), and packed up my camera booking it to the door.
Well consumers, dinner was a success for the carniverous man convinced vegetarians are "totally nuts" and the totally nuts psuedo veg-head. I do indulge in meat of all kinds given the right circumstances- clearly I am too much of a foodie to abstain from any food group when done right.
What we had: A roasted artichoke, and cornmeal encrusted onion appetizer and a avocado tomatoe tartare. Thumbs double up for the artichoke dish with a slight plateau on the avocado. Slightly devoid of interesting flavors- but clearly with the addition of avocado you can't really go wrong. Entrees were a chickpea cake (me) with a sweet toasted almond apricot gelee and a seitan piccatta (G). Both were totally satisfying but I have to say mine was particualrly stellar (g would disagree but trust me). But what stole the show was the dessert- a peanut butter and chocolate mousse with some kind of chocolate tuille below. AMAZING. Really no words. I know I am partial to desserts but even G fought me for the last bite and we both agreed that no matter where, what and how healthy we were trying to be, this dessert is a killer. Truly perfect.

No comments: