Friday, April 11, 2008

I feel Tainted


My catholic guilt is getting to me on this film review. I don't know why I wanted to see it people. I really don't. Maybe it was my dramatic nature or the fact that I am abstractly fixated with Michael Pitt or that naomi watts is a real superstar to me. I don't know. I like to think that it had nothing to do with the fact that I knew the film was going to be incredibly disturbing and emotionally draining.
Yes I saw Funny Games- and everything you think it is going to be like is exactly how it is. Brutal. I dragged a friend along because I knew I would need some grounding during the movie. He seemed to need me just as much and more than once I felt the need to remind him (or was it me?) verbally "This is a social commentary." Reminding myself of that was a mode of extricating myself from the highly grotesque images that were not seen (none of the violence is shown, only the aftermath).

The performances were brilliant all around. But we knew that would be the case, right? I just couldn't stop thinking- man i hope hope hope nobody on the edge goes to see this movie. Because it was so glamorous and appealed to such a sick fascination that we have with misery, I think it could sway people in the worst direction. And they sail off squeaky clean to boot.
I am not a supporter of censorship of course- but these films make me question that stance slightly. Couldn't this instigate more violence? I really believe that it could.

It was an amazingly well made and well produced film but left me with this terrible question: why in the world had I wanted to see it?

No comments: