Wednesday, April 23, 2008

This Consumer wants to stop wanting


How do I do it? In yoga today, between rapid kapalabhati breaths, I was replaying mayle's fall collection in my head. When I recalled a specific dress from resort (yes it was featured here once) it got me thinking about how much I would like to pair it with those paraboot white oxfords and then I started thinking about how much it will cost for me to fly to Europe this summer which got me thinking about what dress I should wear to the wedding that I am attending in Strasburg (which is the real purpose of the trip). Then I start thinking that I wish I were able to sit in the countryside, writing a book- away from the city's noise and myriad billboards telling me what my next purchase should be.
And then I realized everyone had stopped breathing so deeply and my rapid-fire breaths were so startlingly loud and stressed I had almost knocked the wind out of myself (yes this really happened today).
It is clear consumers, I think about consuming WAY too much. Is this a NY state of mind or is this called growing up or is this just me? I'm not striving to become a Buddhist because clearly wanting to achieve the absence of wanting is a serious crisis of priorities.
Thus, I'm attempting to revive my youthful, impulsive side this spring. A side that was blissfully floating a wooden plank on a makeshift puddle. I didn't arrive at this activity wanting it to be something else, but rather enjoying it for exactly what it was and what it did for my imagination. I believe often all those things I am wanting are actually right in front of me- I'm just distracted by all the things that are NOT there...
And so ends your corny life lesson of the day. Sorry. I had to repent for my total mental absence in yoga.

No comments: