Saturday, April 5, 2008

My First Fashion Icon


Oh my structure is all atizzy. Forgive me consumers, it's all a working idea and I'm test-driving the execution. So yes, I have nixed the television themed Wednesday nights. But here's a television reference. It came to me because I was trying to pinpoint early fashion influences the other day and all these hilarious, extremely vivid memories came to me of this girl. She was sassy, had a cool best friend that never showered, and little brother straight out of the jcpenny back to school catalogue. Not to mention her penchant for pop art and pattern on pattern dressing. I was all over it. For me, each episode was a dream wardrobe. I tried to make my room look like hers (splatter painted my door and speckled my wall with handprints). Too nervous in my pre-pubescent body to fully don a clarissa outfit, I would have "clarissa nights" with my best friend where we would create outfits inspired by her and walk around the block. So devious. The memories could go on and on to include the doc martins I HAD to have because they were the only things suitable for displaying my black polka dot pink socks, or the need to wear a hat no matter what time of year that was often embellished with flair (I kid you not! Buttons all over the hat- enough to make me blush even as I write this post).
So the question BEGS to be asked. Please tell me. Who were your first fashion influences??

No comments: