Monday, April 7, 2008

Pretty, Burnt Lasagna and a Creamy Soup



Falai enterprises (falai, falai panateria and falai cafe) are some of my favorite eateries in ny. I was literally speechless after my first experience at falai two years ago. Most of my favorite meals have fuzzy memories of the food. I recall ambience much more clearly. But not so with my first meal at falai. I remember it perfectly and still fantasize that one day I will have an experience that will rival it (or at least compare). But alas, all signs thus far point to a very singular and wonderful culinary memory, not to be repeated. Like the faint memory of smells from the kitchen while my father would cook up saturday brunches...I am haunted by that whipped cod layered with some kind of a chickpea tuille and the surprising and absurd addition of raisins (!) which pleasantly only added to the delight of such a well composed, thoughtful and truly beautiful dish. So that was the first time. And consequently, being that all my expectations were surpassed upon this first impression, I began to feel less and less with each meal. It's inevitable, right?
And so of course it would follow suit that falai panateria right down the street would be "go-to" spot for brunches and casual dinners. My BF shares the fascination (thank god!) so I have a partner in my sick and abusive crime (if you can call devouring almond banana cakes by the spoonful a crime).
Last night we stuck to the basics, arugula salad (yes I adore arugula), steamed shrimp, lasagna bolognese and creamed eggplant soup. Creamed eggplant soup sounds so terribly wrong that it might just be the best way to fully understand how genius Iaccopo Falai is. It was absolutely lovely. Lasagna, however, was burnt. Badly. Oh well, can't win them all. it's OK Iaccoppo. I still love you and your empire. And even at your worst, you're pretty damn good.
Sincerely Yours,
Someone who wishes you were part of their daily diet.

1 comment:

ananas said...

i can totally relate and have similar memories of my first meal at falai.